I did originally want government out of it all. I didn't care who wanted to say they were married or not. I don't care what people do in their bedrooms. I really don't. Just because I view it as a sin, doesn't mean they are evil or can't be loved and respected. Many make better parents than some heterosexuals. No one can deny they can love like anyone else can. No matter how much you love, you can't deny the difference there is when you talk to people that were raised by one loving parent as opposed to a loving mother and father.
Being Mormon, bigotry and intolerance are not new concepts to me by any stretch of the imagination. Mormons have suffered greatly in this country and the bigotry hasn't gone away. I am not a victim, people can hate me because of my religion all they want. That will not affect the way I live my life and will not stop me from believing. At least the murder, torture and violence is, for the most part, in the past. That is why this was a hard decision for me. I don't want to deny any right for any good American. Most people that read this blog, know me. They know I have many friends from all walks of life. Gay people can be some of the nicest and most helpful people. It is not my place to take rights away from people because I think they are sinning. That is why it is important to make sure that they have the same rights as heterosexual couples. I just don't understand what rights have to do with changing the definition of marriage.
There are things I do hate. I hate the aggression and violence this issue has brought out of people, especially from the NO side. But I know where this passion is coming from, on both sides. I will say beating people up, throwing drinks, bleach and food at people aren't furthering your cause. I know that spitting in people's faces and screaming hateful names instead of healthy debate only alienates your side further and further out of the mainstream. When you steal signs, stickers and vandalize private property this also doesn't help your cause. I've seen a lot of this in my own community and on the news. At least some of the No voters can acknowledge that censorship and intolerance ran wild on their side by their actions. Yes on 8 supporters have been likened to the KKK and many other abhorrent comparisons, but which side has shown more KKK characteristics during this 8 campaign?
I know that legally, polygamists, incestuous and other types of "consenting adult" relationships would have to be acknowledged as marriage too. Gay relationships are more socially acceptable and normal (even in my eyes, yes, the intolerant bigot) but how legally can we deny them the "right" too? How can that not be considered intolerant to deny them "the right to marriage"? It is not necessarily natural for men to be with one woman. When they get married, they seem to go against their natural instinct. Wouldn't it make sense that the natural progression would then be to make the practice of polygamy mainstream? I would love to hear your thoughts on this, I am curious because I haven't been able to get a NO person to debate with me. They just yell and call me names.
I also know what people say when I bring up polygamy considering I am Mormon. Haha, laugh it up people. But look, Mormons do not practice polygamy and haven't for a long time and the fact that I believe it to be a sin is not the reason I want to keep marriage between one man and one woman. It's because of the many sociology studies that show the negative effect it would have on the society as a whole, including kids. But if 3 or even 10 adults want to get married, how can we not show "intolerance" to their alternative lifestyle?
I am just trying to think of kids, now that I am a mom and have seen all the many sociologist studies about what is best for children, that is what matters most to me. I just care more about kids than anything else and I see the effects it has already on kids. I'm sorry if that sounds intolerant or bigoted, but that is my most motivating factor.
As long as people are allowed to love who they want, be with who they want, have the same civil rights as everyone else, then I feel government can keep marriage as is. Government may say no on changing marriage, but it can't stop people from loving and living as if they had that certificate. On the same note, religions can continue teaching traditional marriage without losing tax exempt status, labeled as hateful bigots, forced by the courts to marry non-traditional couples, have their adoption organizations closed because they won't adopt kids to non-traditional couples, etc. This seems like a great compromise. Religious rights won't be taken away, and the civil rights can be kept in tact through civil unions, etc.
Just like homosexuals believe I am wrong as a Mormon, I believe that the practice of homosexuality is wrong. I also believe that everybody sins. I can love people that don't live their life the way I do and believe is right. I am by NO MEANS perfect, though I like to make the opposite case to my husband at times ;) Otherwise, I would only have practicing Mormon friends. I believe in the bible and it's teachings, which is what I am going to teach my children in hopes they will too. If they choose not to, I will love them all the same. But I want to reserve the right to teach my kids what I believe is moral, not what teachers at the schools think is moral. They are my kids. I am all for teaching tolerance in schools. What does that have to do with gay marriage? My kids will be taught and punished if they treat ANYONE badly for ANY REASON. I was raised that way, and my kids will be too. I don't want to be contradicted as a parent, which happens already in Massachusetts. As a parent, can I not have the right to teach my kids about ANY sex when I believe they are ready? I would like to bring the innocence back to children. Why must they learn about sexuality at such a young age? I know it's a losing fight, but how can I give up so easily? When I was in 6th grade, there was a girl telling me about how she was having sex with 8th graders. 6th grade!
I am sure eventually there will be another vote, and eventually it will be legalized, and I will respect whatever the majority of the people decide. That is what America is all about.
I am not the most eloquent, but I am genuine in everything I say. I do understand the reasons of the opposition and see how this can seem as "hate speech". I am not trying to change your view, I am just hoping some people might see that it is possible that a person might not hate at all, and still support prop 8.




9 comments:
yes girl!! I completely agree, maybe I shouldn't be commenting then. :) I was appalled and sickened to turn on the news and see protestors in front of the LA temple. My thoughts--evil acts come from evil ideas. Case proven with the anger and hatred coming from such a thing as the idea of gay marriage. Satan is having a field day right now, and being prosecuted for what we believe is nothing new, so bring it.
Very well said...I couldn't agree more.
i totally respect your decision. Arizona had a similar prop.
I guess i just feel that other people's lives are their own and i have no right to decide for them. If one thing makes someone else happy then great. It's not really interfering with my life.
When it comes to the school stuff. I am confident that you will be a great parent in teaching and guiding your children in the direction that is right for your family. Just like raising them and once they graduate they are on their own and all you can hope for is for them to make the right decision. So if it is being taught in schools they will already know what is right and wrong or what their family believes. But i also feel that if they are going to be teaching this that they should get permission from parents or a waiver saying they do or don't want to be taught this. I think i remember when they were teaching sex ed in 6th grade and i think our parents had to sign something. if i felt comfortable i would go ahead with it but i think all they would be teaching is that they have a choice. I'm just blabbing now. sorry.<3
Thank you! You read my mind. I am glad to know that we are on the same page.
XOXo
Thanks for commenting Claudia, I am glad that we can understand each other and still disagree. Your arguments do make sense to me.
Each side feels that the other is imposing their views on the other. How do we solve this as a society? It seems people are so filled with hate, and it's only getting worse. There has to be a way to make both sides happy and feel like their way of life isn't being effected by the other's. Unless people start understanding each other, this will never happen. We can't work it out until people can talk to each other, ya know?
Already schools are not allowing parents to be notified or opt out of these teachings, which does impose views that are against mine as a parent. I just don't see why we can't just learn about math, science and geography in schools any more. It seems that our education needs serious help in this country, but we spend time taking elementary school kids to same sex marriage ceremonies, when I don't believe they should be even going to hetero ceremonies, ya know? A man in MA was arrested because he said he wouldn't leave the school until he was able to be notified when they were going to teach this. So there has to be acknowledgment of imposing beliefs, that way there can be civil talk and compromise so that everyone can be happy and respect each other.
I have to be able to believe that this is a possibility. That the world could live together without imposing views on each other and just live their own lives. Maybe I am too much of an idealist! Haha, just like I want world peace.
It's just such a hard subject, and a difficult one to make as a person who cares about intolerance and hate in my community.
I am glad you commented and feel free to post more thoughts as they come. I know I get new insight on this matter everyday.
Haha, and that was not Luke, that was me :)
I love what you had to say and agree with all of it. I felt like you were writing my own thoughts down. It's sad to hear about all of the hate and anger this has caused. Thanks for sharing.
I kind of wish that they wouldn't group same sex marriage and teaching it in school in one proposition or whatever. I think the very same thing.. i don't even think they should be talking about regular marriage because they should be learning that at home.. that i do agree with. I don't think that everybody will ever agree, otherwise this would be a perfect world right? haha well i don't mind talking about it, but it doesn't come in between my friendships at all, as i respect my friends and families opinions and beliefs... take care baby girl..i want a baby toooo NOW.
Chrissy, this was so well written! I agree COMPLETELY. Props to Claudia for engaging in a respectful discussion, I have seen way too many of my friends recieve nasty comments. This is refreshing!
Post a Comment