1.21.2009

broken leg and broken heart

After many tears shed by both me and Naomi yesterday, I feel today will be a tear-free day! 

It all started when Luke and I took Naomi to the McDonalds play area Monday night. Luke and Naomi played while I watched from the table below. On their last trip down the very fast tunnel slide, somehow Naomi's boot (which wasn't supposed to be on) caught traction and Luke's 200 pounds proved to be too much for her poor tibia bone to handle. I knew immediately that she was hurt pretty badly, but I was hoping it was just a sprain. I was hopeful, but not convinced since she wouldn't stand up at all. Yesterday she got her x-rays and her temporary splint, while I sobbed and sobbed. She will get her full leg cast tomorrow or Friday, where I am expecting more water works from my poor baby and me (crazy emotional pregnant lady), but until then, we will try and stay dry! Naomi has been a trooper through all of this. She still wants to stand and run around like she used to. I hope she will be able to walk a little once the real cast gets put on. Poor Luke couldn't feel worse. 


As a 21 month old, Naomi has already surpassed her mama in a couple of life experiences. 

First being beer tasting. One night while we were watching Luke's softball game, the players from another team were starting to arrive. One guy cracked open a brand new 40 of Bud and set it right next to us. As I turned to look at Naomi, she was gripping it, helping herself to a frosty beverage left for her convenience. I'm not sure if she actually got a sip before I snatched it out of her hand, but I'm pretty sure she left some snot for that man to enjoy around the rim ;)

Now miss thing has a broken leg. I have always been an active person, but never broken a bone. Opposite me, Luke has broken every bone in his body probably 5 times. I guess I am going to need to get used to this, especially since baby boy is on his way.  


The Hansen's have seen better days, yes, but maybe it's good to get all the chaos figured out before baby boy comes.  Naomi is a tough girl, and I am very blessed that this broken leg is expected to heal very fast.  Be careful on the slides with your kids!  The Dr. said this is a very common tragedy.  Sad.

25 comments:

Tracy said...

Sad story:( but she looks extra cute with that little temporary cast on.

Claudia Luckey said...

aww i'm so sorry. I can only imagine. Poor Luke.

Grandma Pat said...

OH my poor little baby, I feel so sad for her. Good thing she is little and won't remember the trama of it all. Luke does feel terrible and yes he has broken several bones, but she is to little to experience that. Now I have had two granddaughters that have had broken bones in there short little life plus a grandson that has had a broken nose. OOPS I guess that is a bad Hansen thing going on. We will blame it on Granpa Buff since he has broken things but not me. Love you guys, hang in there. Naomi grandma loves you and hopes you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

So sad! I couldn't believe it when Frank told me about it. And just a few days before Luke was telling me I was a bad mother...the nerve. :)

Meredith said...

When my sister Elizabeth's first baby was about 1, he fell off her bed and got a horrible cut on his forehead which was followed with a trip to the ER and stitches. Elizabeth bawled for days and decided it was the worst thing that could ever happen, and she was a horrible mother. He had a cool little Harry Potter scar for about a year, but now 4 years later it's barely noticeable. Anyway, being somewhat removed from it all I was surprised at all the horror Elizabeth seemed to be experiencing, but it's just proof of how connected a mum feels to her baby! That's pretty great that it exists. Naomi does look very cute with that little brace. This is officially the longest comment on the planet. :)

Nash said...

sorry i don't comment enough, darn google reader.
i'm so sorry about her accident. she is so adorable by the way. it's so hard being a parent, and especially a pregnant one.
one time avery was bawling at the gym daycare, we thought she broke her arm. so, we went to the ER, i was 7 months pregnant or so, and i just wanted to bawl. turned out she was FINE. don't know what the problem was. it's just always more dramatic when you are pregnant and hormonal.
Poor luke, feel bad for him too.
Hope all goes well and it heals fast. we have had NO broken bones with 3 kids, although now that i just said that we will. we have had lots of staples and stitches. i have never broke a bone and so it freaks me out.
TOO funny on the beer story, and i hope the guy likes SNOT.

Anonymous said...

OH NO!!!!!!!! Poor baby! I swear it's one more thing that she will never remember, but will traumatize you forever. Gavin hasn't broken a bone, but we've had many moments that are burned in my brain that he doesn't even remember happening. THank God kids are resilient! I hope she feels better, and wear water proof mascara tomorrow!

Gentry Fam said...

Ohh so sad! But Naomi is to tough cookie! Do we get to sign her cast?

Rebecca Lowe said...

that is the saddest thing ive heard all week! poor baby girl. at least you get a cute little baby wrapped in a cast for awhile -- really, nothing is cuter than that!

Requel said...

That is so sad. Poor thing. But super funny about the frosty beverage!! Good luck with it all!!

Amy Lou said...

AWE! I broke my tibia once too.. By the looks of things, she is holding up a lot better that I did!!! I am dying at the beer story.. HILARIOUS :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, sooo sad. Remember, it's always harder on the parents. But don't beat yourselves up. She's a trooper, and she will probably cry much harder 15 years from now when you tell her she can't go out on a date with Johnny the tattoo-laden, dirt-bike riding, chain-smoking douche bag down the street.

L said...

Poor little Naomi... feel better soon baby girl!

PJ and Julie said...

oh that breaks my heart! I hope she's up and running soon!

m.m. said...

poor little thing! good luck tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

so sad. I felt so bad when I got your text last night. I'm sure she has been less traumatized by it then you have. Glad Bachelor gave you a few giggles this afternoon. Miss you girl!

secristlife said...

Oh Chrissy, I feel your pain, when Zo was 10 months and broke her arm I cried for hours! And then when Peanut broke his nose and split it wide pen and we had to wait 4 hours for a plastic surgeon, I sobbed so hard the hospital brought me a pizza cuz I was such a mess! Moms prego or not are extremely azttached to their precious little active children! We love you all and it will get better- leave it to you to post a hilarious beer story with a heart jerker!:) Hug her extra tight for me!

Liz said...

No! Poor Naomi! I hope she (and you) feel better soon :).

Candice said...

Oh, that is the saddest thing I have yet to see. She is so adorable. I am dreading the day one of my kids brakes a bone. It has to be the worst.
Also I have been meaning to tell you Congratulations on the new baby. It's going to be a lot of fun. Jordy loves her baby bro.

Wendy said...

Sad is right! Oh my goodness. I too have never broken a bone and can't imagine the feeling. Poor baby! I hope you feel too Chrissy.

Megan and Alyvia said...

Oh my gosh!! Poor little Naomi!! Hopefully she'll get a cute, little pink cast and be good as new in no time!!
Livie actually broke her collar bone when she was just 1 1/2 and it seemed to heal really fast, so we hope Naomi's does too!

Katie said...

I am so sorry Chrissy. I can hardly stand cute little Naomi's face and TINY leg wrapped up. Jenn told me all about this yesterday and I can't believe it! Please let us come and bring you girls anything you need! Maybe Tay can come over and "sign" her cast. Will she get it off before the baby comes?

Anonymous said...

Chrissy--having just been there, I can sympathize. It's horrible. On the upside, the younger they are, the faster they heal...hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Dang, I just read this with Adam. We are so sorry for her and for Luke....accidents like this stink. Hope you get through it o.k. I know what u mean about emotional....I am sooo there. It is annoying! :)

HolliJo said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Naomi! But, we are glad you are doing much better now! And hopefully it will heal soon! It must be a Hansen thing because I think most of us have broken things too! haha :). Well take it easy for awhile!